Can't mount root from raidz2 after r255763 in stable/9

Artem Belevich art at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 3 03:22:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a box with root mounted from 8-disk raidz2 ZFS volume.
After recent buildworld I've ran into an issue that kernel fails to
mount root with error 6.
r255763 on stable/9 is the first revision that fails to mount root on
mybox. Preceding r255749 boots fine.

Commit r255763 (http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=255763)
MFCs bunch of changes from 10 but I don't see anything that obviously
impacts ZFS.

Attempting to boot with vfs.zfs.debug=1 shows that order in which geom
providers are probed by zfs has apparently changed. Kernels that boot,
show "guid match for provider /dev/gpt/<valid pool slice>" while
failing kernels show "guid match for provider /dev/daX" -- the raw
disks that are *not* the right geom provider for my pool slices. Beats
me why ZFS picks raw disks over GPT partitions it should have.

Pool configuration:
#zpool status z0
  pool: z0
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 8h57m with 0 errors on Sat Oct 19 20:23:52 2013
config:

        NAME                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        z0                   ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-0           ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/da0p4-z0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/da1p4-z0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/da2p4-z0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/da3p4-z0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/da4p4-z0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/da5p4-z0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/da6p4-z0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/da7p4-z0     ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs
          mirror-1           ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/ssd-zil-z0   ONLINE       0     0     0
            gpt/ssd1-zil-z0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        cache
          gpt/ssd1-l2arc-z0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Here are screen captures from a failed boot:
https://plus.google.com/photos/+ArtemBelevich/albums/5941857781891332785
And here's boot log from successful boot on the same system:
http://pastebin.com/XCwebsh7

Removing ZIL and L2ARC makes no difference -- r255763 still fails to mount root.

I'm thoroughly baffled. Is there's something wrong with the pool --
some junk metadata somewhere on the disk that now screws with the root
mounting? Changed order in geom provider enumeration? Something else?
Any suggestions on what I can do to debug this further?

--Artem