Apparent fxp regression in FreeBSD 8.4-RC3

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 24 01:21:22 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 06:09:43PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 08:18:33PM -0400, Michael L. Squires wrote:
> > I've just tested 8.4-RC3 using a different Supermicro 1U box with a fresh
> > installation of 8.4-RC3.  I had problems with the installation, wouldn't
> > boot until I used a Windows 98 FDISK to write a master boot record
> > (no idea why; this system uses an Adaptec SATA 1.5 6-channel PCI-X
> > board with two
> > drives in RAID 1).
> >
> > Using the em0 interface there are no problems with DHCP; when I
> > switch to the fxp0 interface the interface starts going up/down in
> > the same manner as reported.
> >
> > The problem appears associated with "world", not with the kernel (running
> > the 8.4 kernel with the 8.3 world does not have this problem).
> >
> > This motherboard is an X5DPL-iGM with 2 Xeon 2.8GHz CPUs and 4 GB of RAM.
> > The other unit (an earlier board) has a Serverworks chipset with a single
> > Xeon CPU but also with a 100Mbit Intel Pro100 Ethernet port and a 1000Mbit
> > Intel Pro1000 Ethernet port.
> >
> > This unit isn't doing anything useful, so testing isn't a problem.
>
> Mike, Yong-Hyeon asked you a very important question which you didn't
> answer:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-May/073458.html
>
> If you assign a static IP address, does fxp0 behave properly?
>
> I'm also re-adding Yong-Hyeon to the CC list here.

At this point, I am not convinced we have a problem with what will turn
out to be 8.4-RELEASE.

There have been several attempts to ensure the upgraded version is
actually 8.4-RC3 (and again, 'uname -a' is not provided in this
email...).

I find it very hard to believe that we have exactly one fxp(4) user
upgrading to 8.4-*.

I'd really like to make sure that this is not an issue that will affect
an uncountable number of users, but truthfully, at this point have to
consider it a local configuration problem.

Glen