Apparent fxp regression in FreeBSD 8.4-RC3

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Fri May 24 01:09:45 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 08:18:33PM -0400, Michael L. Squires wrote:
> I've just tested 8.4-RC3 using a different Supermicro 1U box with a fresh
> installation of 8.4-RC3.  I had problems with the installation, wouldn't
> boot until I used a Windows 98 FDISK to write a master boot record
> (no idea why; this system uses an Adaptec SATA 1.5 6-channel PCI-X
> board with two
> drives in RAID 1).
>
> Using the em0 interface there are no problems with DHCP; when I
> switch to the fxp0 interface the interface starts going up/down in
> the same manner as reported.
>
> The problem appears associated with "world", not with the kernel (running
> the 8.4 kernel with the 8.3 world does not have this problem).
>
> This motherboard is an X5DPL-iGM with 2 Xeon 2.8GHz CPUs and 4 GB of RAM.
> The other unit (an earlier board) has a Serverworks chipset with a single
> Xeon CPU but also with a 100Mbit Intel Pro100 Ethernet port and a 1000Mbit
> Intel Pro1000 Ethernet port.
>
> This unit isn't doing anything useful, so testing isn't a problem.

Mike, Yong-Hyeon asked you a very important question which you didn't
answer:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2013-May/073458.html

If you assign a static IP address, does fxp0 behave properly?

I'm also re-adding Yong-Hyeon to the CC list here.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |