Swap Warning Message?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Thu May 23 19:49:02 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 07:55:20AM -0500, Michael Gass wrote:
> Updated 9.1 to 9 stable on an old PII with 256 MB of memory.
> (FreeBSD runs fine on this machine).  After updating have
> been getting the following warning on startup:
>
> warning: total configured swap (524288 pages) exceeds maximum recommended
> amount (497056 pages).
> warning: increase kern.maxswzone or reduce amount of swap space.
>
> I allocated 2.0 GB of swap when I installed.  This was not a problem
> in the past.
>
> Should I ignore this warning or do I need to do something?

Taken from my /boot/loader.conf:

# Set kern.maxswzone to 0 to squelch "total configured swap exceeds
# maximum recommended amount" warning, even with maxpages/2 fix.
# http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-August/thread.html#69301
#
kern.maxswzone="0"

Give the small amount of memory on your system, I would suggest using
the above /boot/loader.conf setting, since your system is significantly
likely to make use of lots of swap; decreasing swap space in your case
seems downright silly.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |