Command line not responding

Michael Gass mgass at csbsju.edu
Sat May 18 03:20:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 09:26:58PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> On May 17, 2013, at 19:56, Michael Gass <mgass at csbsju.edu> wrote:
> > Running 9.0-Stable on an i386.
> >
> > Whenever I type a command at the prompt I get
> > the output
> >
> > /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"
> >
> > and nothing else - the command will not run.
>
> Are you running bash, by any chance?  Because bash is usually linked to
> libintl, for its internationalized messages.

Not running bash. Running csh.

> In any case, it looks like there is a mismatch between your libc.so, and
> your ports.  Did you recently update your base system?

Updated the ports tree with portsnap and was in the process of
updating my ports when the problem occurred with updating freetype2.

> > Started to happen after trying to update the freetype2 port.
> > Got an error msg while updating libXft-2.1.14.  From that point
> > on I cannot use  the command line.
>
> How did you update those ports?  Did you rebuild them, or install
> precompiled binary packages?  If the latter, where exactly did you
> retrieve those packages from?

I use portmaster with the -P option to use a package if available.
So some are built and some are downloaded as packages.

Thanks for getting back to me.

--
Michael Gass
mgass at csbsju.edu