Command line not responding

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 17 19:27:06 UTC 2013

On May 17, 2013, at 19:56, Michael Gass <mgass at csbsju.edu> wrote:
> Running 9.0-Stable on an i386.
>
> Whenever I type a command at the prompt I get
> the output
>
> /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.9: Undefined symbol "_ThreadRuneLocale"
>
> and nothing else - the command will not run.

Are you running bash, by any chance?  Because bash is usually linked to
libintl, for its internationalized messages.

In any case, it looks like there is a mismatch between your libc.so, and
your ports.  Did you recently update your base system?

> Started to happen after trying to update the freetype2 port.
> Got an error msg while updating libXft-2.1.14.  From that point
> on I cannot use  the command line.

How did you update those ports?  Did you rebuild them, or install
precompiled binary packages?  If the latter, where exactly did you
retrieve those packages from?

-Dimitry