problem building world on 9.1 stable after changing 100% to svn

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-stable-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Mar 30 20:23:37 UTC 2013

"Edwin L. Culp W." <edwinlculp at gmail.com> writes:

> I am currently tying to use the new tools that replace cvsup and then
> recompile.  Ports are working as expected but buildworld has been giving me
> a headache .
> I'm manually trying
>

> # svn up /usr/src
>
>    Updating '.':
>    At revision 248935.
>
> # cd /usr/src
>  # make buildworld
>
> It then chugs right along util it generates tha e following error:
>
> cc -O2 -pipe  -I/usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/../../contrib/mtree
> -I/usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/../../lib/libnetbsd
> -I/usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/../../lib/libmd -std=gnu99 -fstack-protector
> -Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter
> -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type
> -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wunused-parameter
> -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Winline -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls
> -Wold-style-definition -Wno-pointer-sign -c
> /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c: In function 'metadata_log':
> /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c:1331: warning: implicit declaration of
> function 'strsvis'
> /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/xinstall.c:1331: warning: nested extern
> declaration of 'strsvis'
> *** [xinstall.o] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall.
> *** [all] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/usr.bin.
> *** [usr.bin.all__D] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** [everything] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** [buildworld] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> I've probably missed something obvious because I can't find it and I've
> been building world for years with no real problems.

This looks like a real compile problem, so the issue is unlikely to be
related to how you got the sources (i.e., the svn conversion is probably
a red herring. My first guess was that some developer had broken the
build entirely, but I've now done a successful buildworld (with the same
revision you have), so the problem appears to be local to your system.

It's possible you're building with the wrong set of headers, but every
case I can think of would have given you an error earlier than this.
Do you get any output from:
 # cd /usr/src/usr.bin/xinstall/ && svn status xinstall.c
by any chance?

What command did you use for your initial source checkout from SubVersion?