FreeBSD 9.1 - openldap slapd lockups, mutex problems

Kai Gallasch gallasch at free.de
Mon Mar 25 10:12:28 UTC 2013

Am 22.01.2013 um 11:19 schrieb Kai Gallasch:
> Hi.
>
> (Im am sending this to the "stable" list, because it maybe kernel related.. )
>
> On 9.1-RELEASE I am witnessing lockups of the openldap slapd daemon.
>
> The slapd runs for some days and then hangs, consuming high amounts of CPU.
> In this state slapd can only be restarted by SIGKILL.

short update:

I tried all I could to isolate the problem.

What I am certain of is that the problem lies in the BDB backend for openldap itself, or how slapd interacts with it.
My knowledge is not sufficient to debug BDB itself, it appears to be quite a complex gearbox.

Also - as a sidenote - I had to learn that the new owner of BDB (orcle) does not give a toss about keeping old links to BDB documentation intact (for example informattion you'd need to tune your BDB - "DB_CONFIG" - or understand it better.)

In the end I decided to drop the BDB backend for my running slapd installations and switch over to MDB[1,2] as backend and since then the problems disappeared.

So if you are plagued by the same slapd lockups and rely on your ldap directory, switching backends will give you some peace of mind.

Thanks to all who have replied! And thanks to sleepycat for all the fish.

Kai Gallasch.

[1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man5/slapd-mdb.5.html
[2] http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/backends.html