Re: What is the Right Way(�"o) to run X?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 01:21:11 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Daniel O'Connor <darius at dons.net.au> wrote:

> On 18/03/2013, at 8:54, Don Lewis <truckman at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > I don't recall if I disabled hald and changed xorg.conf to point to
> > /dev/psm0 before I re-enabled moused.  I do know that hald is currently
> > disabled and nothing obvious seems to be broken in Gnome.
> >
> > I haven't had any issues with AllowEmptyInput so I never bothered to
> > switch over to the preferred AutoAddDevices.
>
> This sounds exactly like what I have, although I do find it odd that hal
> doesn't manage to open /dev/sysmouse and use that (even if it fails for
> /dev/ums* etc). lshal does show a mount device listed with /dev/sysmouse as
> the device name.
>
> Very odd. I have been running with xorg, sysmouse and hal for a long time
> with no real issues. No AutoAddDevices or AllowEmptyInput at all.

lshal shows that the magic is working:
di = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/psm_0'
  freebsd.device_file = '/dev/psm0'  (string)
  freebsd.driver = 'psm'  (string)
  freebsd.unit = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  info.addons = {'hald-addon-mouse-sysmouse'} (string list)
  info.capabilities = {'input', 'input.mouse'} (string list)
  info.category = 'input'  (string)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/atkbdc_0'  (string)
  info.product = 'PS/2 Mouse'  (string)
  info.subsystem = 'platform'  (string)
  info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/psm_0'  (string)
  input.device = '/dev/sysmouse'  (string)
  input.x11_driver = 'mouse'  (string)
  platform.id = 'psm.0'  (string)

Note that the input.device is sysmouse and that it works. Does lshal how
the input device to be sysmouse on your system?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com