Re: What is the Right Way(™) to run X?

Andreas Nilsson andrnils at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 12:14:44 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Daniel O'Connor <darius at dons.net.au> wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently updated my 9.1-PRE system's ports and my previous X config now
> results in no mouse (but the keyboard does work).
>
> I found that I needed to add the following..
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option      "AllowEmptyInput" "False"
> EndSection
>
> I am pretty sure this used to be necessary, then wasn't, but now seems
> required again.. From what I can see this means a 'startx' with no config
> is broken which is a bit of a step backwards.
>
> BTW I have dbus & hald running.
>
> --
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum
> GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C

On my intel-based systems there is no xorg.conf and on my nVidia-systems
there is one, but it contains only:
 Section "Device"
        Identifier      "nvidia"
        Driver  "nvidia"
        Option  "NoLogo" "true"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "default screen"
        Device "nvidia"
EndSection

so I think your setup is somehow broken. You didn't mention which version
of xorg you are using.

Does lshal show any inputdevices?

Have you tried to do the build from a clean environment?

Best regards
Andreas