ZFS "stalls" -- and maybe we should be talking about defaults?

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 5 11:09:48 UTC 2013

Completely unrelated to the main thread:

on 05/03/2013 07:32 Jeremy Chadwick said the following:
> That said, I still do not recommend ZFS for a root filesystem

Why?

> (this biting people still happens even today)

What exactly?

> - Disks are GPT and are *partitioned, and ZFS refers to the partitions
>   not the raw disk -- this matters (honest, it really does; the ZFS
>   code handles things differently with raw disks)

Not on FreeBSD as far I can see.

P.S. I completely agree with your suggestions on simplifying the setup and
gathering objective information for the purpose of debugging the issue.
I also completely agree that "me too"-ing is not very useful (and often completely
incorrect) for the complex problems like this one.
Thank you.
--
Andriy Gapon