ZFS "stalls" -- and maybe we should be talking about defaults?

Dennis Glatting freebsd at pki2.com
Tue Mar 5 02:08:02 UTC 2013

I get stalls with 256GB of RAM with arc_max=64G (my limit is usually 25%
) on a 64 core system with 20 new 3TB Seagate disks under LSI2008 chips
without much load. Interestingly pbzip2 consistently created a problem
on a volume whereas gzip does not.

Here, stalls happen across several systems however I have had less
problems under 8.3 than 9.1. If I go to hardware RAID5 (LSI2008 -- same
chips: IR vs IT) I don't have a problem.