ZFS "stalls" -- and maybe we should be talking about defaults?
killing at multiplay.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 00:33:08 UTC 2013
What does zfs-stats -a show when your having the stall issue?
You can also use zfs iostats to show individual disk iostats
which may help identify a single failing disk e.g.
zpool iostat -v 1
Also have you investigated which of the two sysctls you changed
fixed it or does it require both?
----- Original Message -----
From: "Karl Denninger" <karl at denninger.net>
To: <freebsd-stable at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 10:48 PM
Subject: ZFS "stalls" -- and maybe we should be talking about defaults?
Well now this is interesting.
I have converted a significant number of filesystems to ZFS over the
last week or so and have noted a few things. A couple of them aren't so
The subject machine in question has 12GB of RAM and dual Xeon
5500-series processors. It also has an ARECA 1680ix in it with 2GB of
local cache and the BBU for it. The ZFS spindles are all exported as
JBOD drives. I set up four disks under GPT, have a single freebsd-zfs
partition added to them, are labeled and the providers are then
geli-encrypted and added to the pool. When the same disks were running
on UFS filesystems they were set up as a 0+1 RAID array under the ARECA
adapter, exported as a single unit, GPT labeled as a single pack and
then gpart-sliced and newfs'd under UFS+SU.
Since I previously ran UFS filesystems on this config I know what the
performance level I achieved with that, and the entire system had been
running flawlessly set up that way for the last couple of years.
Presently the machine is running 9.1-Stable, r244942M
Immediately after the conversion I set up a second pool to play with
backup strategies to a single drive and ran into a problem. The disk I
used for that testing is one that previously was in the rotation and is
also known good. I began to get EXTENDED stalls with zero I/O going on,
some lasting for 30 seconds or so. The system was not frozen but
anything that touched I/O would lock until it cleared. Dedup is off,
My first thought was that I had a bad drive, cable or other physical
problem. However, searching for that proved fruitless -- there was
nothing being logged anywhere -- not in the SMART data, not by the
adapter, not by the OS. Nothing. Sticking a digital storage scope on
the +5V and +12V rails didn't disclose anything interesting with the
power in the chassis; it's stable. Further, swapping the only disk that
had changed (the new backup volume) with a different one didn't change
The last straw was when I was able to reproduce the stalls WITHIN the
original pool against the same four disks that had been running
flawlessly for two years under UFS, and still couldn't find any evidence
of a hardware problem (not even ECC-corrected data returns.) All the
disks involved are completely clean -- zero sector reassignments, the
drive-specific log is clean, etc.
Attempting to cut back the ARECA adapter's aggressiveness (buffering,
etc) on the theory that I was tickling something in its cache management
algorithm that was pissing it off proved fruitless as well, even when I
shut off ALL caching and NCQ options. I also set
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1 to no effect. Hmmmm...
Last night after reading the ZFS Tuning wiki for FreeBSD I went on a
lark and limited the ARC cache to 2GB (vfs.zfs.arc_max=2000000000), set
vfs.zfs.write_limit_override to 1024000000 (1GB) and rebooted. /*
The problem instantly disappeared and I cannot provoke its return even
with multiple full-bore snapshot and rsync filesystem copies running
while a scrub is being done.*/
I'm pinging between being I/O and processor (geli) limited now in normal
operation and slamming the I/O channel during a scrub. It appears that
performance is roughly equivalent, maybe a bit less, than it was with
UFS+SU -- but it's fairly close.
The operating theory I have at the moment is that the ARC cache was in
some way getting into a near-deadlock situation with other memory
demands on the system (there IS a Postgres server running on this
hardware although it's a replication server and not taking queries --
nonetheless it does grab a chunk of RAM) leading to the stalls.
Limiting its grab of RAM appears to have to resolved the contention
issue. I was unable to catch it actually running out of free memory
although it was consistently into the low five-digit free page count and
the kernel never garfed on the console about resource exhaustion --
other than a bitch about swap stalling (the infamous "more than 20
seconds" message.) Page space in use near the time in question (I could
not get a display while locked as it went to I/O and froze) was not
zero, but pretty close to it (a few thousand blocks.) That the system
was driven into light paging does appear to be significant and
indicative of some sort of memory contention issue as under operation
with UFS filesystems this machine has never been observed to allocate
Anyone seen anything like this before and if so.... is this a case of
bad defaults or some bad behavior between various kernel memory
allocation contention sources?
This isn't exactly a resource-constrained machine running x64 code with
12GB of RAM and two quad-core processors in it!
-- Karl Denninger
/The Market Ticker ®/ <http://market-ticker.org>
Cuda Systems LLC
freebsd-stable at freebsd.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"
This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise disseminating it or any information contained in it.
In the event of misdirection, illegible or incomplete transmission please telephone +44 845 868 1337
or return the E.mail to postmaster at multiplay.co.uk.
More information about the freebsd-stable