Musings on ZFS Backup strategies

John john at theusgroup.com
Sat Mar 2 23:15:35 UTC 2013

>The "recommended" approach is to do zfs send | zfs recv and store a
>replica of your pool (with whatever level of RAID that meets your
>needs).  This way, you immediately detect an error in the send stream
>and can repeat the send.  You then use scrub to verify (and recover)
>the replica.

I do zfs send | zfs recv from several machines to a backup server in a
different building. Each day an incremental send is done using the previous
day's incremental send as the base. One reason for this approach is to minimize
the amount of bandwidth required since one of the machines is across a T1.

This technique requires keeping a record of the current base snapshot for each
filesystem, and a system in place to keep from destroying the base snapshot.
I learned the latter the hard way when a machine went down for several days,
and when it came back up the script that destroys out-of-date snapshots deleted
the incremental base snapshot.

I'm running 9.1-stable with zpool features on my machines, and with this upgrade
came zfs hold and zfs release. This allows you to lock a snapshot so it can't
be destroyed until it's released. With this feature, I do the following for
each filesystem:

zfs send -i yesterdays_snapshot todays_snapshot | ssh backup_server zfs recv
on success:
  zfs hold todays_snapshot
  zfs release yesterdays_snapshot
  ssh backup_server zfs hold todays_snapshot
  ssh backup_server zfs release yesterdays_snapshot
  update zfs_send_dates file with filesystem and snapshot name

John Theus
TheUsGroup.com