Does the image on isc.portsnap.freebsd.org have a virus?

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Wed Jul 31 12:36:32 UTC 2013

On 31/07/2013 15:44, Chris H wrote:
> Greetings,
>   I know this sounds crazy, and apologies if I am. But I have 2 RELENG_8 servers;
> 1 amd64, and 1 i386. about 3 wks ago, I migrated from cv(sup) updating, to svn on
> the amd64 box.
> After removing cv(sup) related folders, and the ports folder, I used:
> portsnap fetch
> After the fetch completed I ran:
> portsnap extract
> which verified/patched && extracted the image to /usr/ports.
> Tonight, I initiated the same procedure on the i386 server. _BUT_ upon completion of
> the fetch, it proceeded to verify/patch && extract; _not_ to /usr/ports, but to
> /var/db/portsnap/ports. re-examining /etc/portsnap.conf, and re-reading the portsnap(8) man
> page, reveals that _both_ .conf files are identical, as were the version(s) used on both
> boxes. An additional attempt to portsnap fetch, resulted in the same (unorthodox) behavior.
> What gives?!

Are you watching as it started or when it finished?

/var/db/portsnap is used by portsnap to download updates that it uses to
generate the /usr/ports files.

Just guessing but it may also extract and patch files there before
moving them to /usr/ports