Does the image on isc.portsnap.freebsd.org have a virus?

Chris H bsd-lists at 1command.com
Wed Jul 31 06:14:05 UTC 2013

Greetings,
 I know this sounds crazy, and apologies if I am. But I have 2 RELENG_8 servers;
1 amd64, and 1 i386. about 3 wks ago, I migrated from cv(sup) updating, to svn on
the amd64 box.
After removing cv(sup) related folders, and the ports folder, I used:
portsnap fetch
After the fetch completed I ran:
portsnap extract
which verified/patched && extracted the image to /usr/ports.
Tonight, I initiated the same procedure on the i386 server. _BUT_ upon completion of
the fetch, it proceeded to verify/patch && extract; _not_ to /usr/ports, but to
/var/db/portsnap/ports. re-examining /etc/portsnap.conf, and re-reading the portsnap(8) man
page, reveals that _both_ .conf files are identical, as were the version(s) used on both
boxes. An additional attempt to portsnap fetch, resulted in the same (unorthodox) behavior.
What gives?!

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--chris