perl upgrade woes -- how to best reconcile?

Fabian Wenk fabian at wenks.ch
Tue Jul 9 10:53:23 UTC 2013

Hello Chris

On 09.07.2013 11:18, Chris H wrote:
> How do I best sort this all out. I _really_ miss the perl_after_upgrade script, that
> used to accompany this process.

I also had some challenges with this perl upgrade, but I used
portupgrade. In the end I created a custom script based on the
output from 'portupgrade -nrf perl' which did the following:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
set -e
portupgrade -f lang/perl5.12
portupgrade -f converters/p5-MIME-Base64
portupgrade -f devel/p5-Test-Harness
portupgrade -f devel/p5-Locale-Maketext-Simple
[...]

This script does abort, when a single command fails, so you see
what fails and you can fix it. Eventually you will need to check
dependencies and rebuild one of the ports now, which is later in
the script. When the failed port did build, then remove the
already done ports from the script and restart it.

At the end I also did check the folders in /usr/local/lib/perl5/
for left overs in the folders from the old perl version. I then
used pkg_which to find out to which port the belongs and did also
a portupgrade -f for this port too.

In the end everything was fine, but it took a little more effort,
as I had around 235 ports to rebuild. But as long as you stay
with e.g. perl 5.12.x, it is easier then before with the
perl_after_upgrade script for minor updates.

The next big challenge then will be the upgrade to e.g. 5.14.x or
5.16.x.

bye
Fabian