make buildworld is now 50% slower

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Jul 7 10:56:43 UTC 2013

Apropos of nothing, but...

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 03:17:14AM -0700 I heard the voice of
Jeremy Chadwick, and lo! it spake thus:

> WITHOUT_LIB32=true

suggests you're running amd64, which I'm pretty sure means

> - I do increase kern.maxdsiz, kern.dfldsiz, and kern.maxssiz in
> /boot/loader.conf to 2560M/2560M/256M respectively, but that was mainly
> from the days when I ran MySQL and needed a huge userland processes.

are not necessarily _in_creases, and may well be mostly _de_creases.
e.g., on a RELENG_9 box with 8 gig of physical RAM:

% sysctl kern.{max{d,s},dfld}siz
kern.maxdsiz: 34359738368
kern.maxssiz: 536870912
kern.dfldsiz: 134217728

while a -CURRENT box with 16 has dfldsiz blown all the way up too.  I
don't recall doing anything to change them at all recently, and a
glance over loader.conf, sysctl.conf, rc.local, and the kernel configs
doesn't turn up anything.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net