make buildworld is now 50% slower

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Sun Jul 7 10:17:36 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 07, 2013 at 11:50:29AM +0300, Daniel Braniss wrote:

> > > Ehm, your user and sys times are not that much different at all, they
> > > add up to about 5% slower for buildworld, and 1% faster for build kernel.
> > > Are you sure nothing else is running on that machine, eating up CPU time
> > > while you are building? :)
> > >
> > > But yes, clang 3.3 is of course somewhat larger than 3.2.  You might
> > > especially notice that, if you are using gcc, which is very slow at
> > > compiling C++.
> > >
> > > In any case, if you do not care about clang, just set WITHOUT_CLANG= in
> > > your /etc/src.conf, and you can shave off some build time.
> >
> > I just built world/kernel (stable/9 r252769) 5 hours ago.  Results:
> >
> > time make -j4 buildworld  = roughly 21 minutes on my hardware
> > time make -j4 buildkernel = roughly 8 minutes on my hardware
> >

> It's been a long time since I saw such numbers, maybe it's time
> to see where time is being spent, I will run it without clang to compare with
> your numbers.
>
> > These numbers are about the norm for me, meaning I do not see a
> > substantial increase in build times.
> >
> > Key point: I do not use/build/grok clang, i.e. WITHOUT_CLANG=true is in
> > my src.conf.  But I am aware of the big clang change in r252723.
> >
> > If hardware details are wanted, ask, but I don't think it's relevant to
> > what the root cause is.
> >

> from what you are saying, I guess clang is not responsible.
> looking for my Sherlock Holmes hat.

Some points to those numbers I stated above:

- System is an Intel Q9550 with 8GB of RAM

- Single SSD (UFS2+SU+TRIM) is used for root, /usr, /var, /tmp, and swap

- /usr/src is on ZFS (raidz1 + 3 disks) -- however I got equally small
numbers when it was on the SSD

- /usr/src is using compression=lz4  (to folks from -fs: yeah, I'm
trying it out to see how much of an impact it has on interactivity.  I
can still tell when it kicks in, but it's way, way better than lzjb.
Rather not get into that here)

- Contents of /etc/src.conf (to give you some idea of what I disable):

WITHOUT_ATM=true
WITHOUT_BLUETOOTH=true
WITHOUT_CLANG=true
WITHOUT_FLOPPY=true
WITHOUT_FREEBSD_UPDATE=true
WITHOUT_INET6=true
WITHOUT_IPFILTER=true
WITHOUT_IPX=true
WITHOUT_KERBEROS=true
WITHOUT_LIB32=true
WITHOUT_LPR=true
WITHOUT_NDIS=true
WITHOUT_NETGRAPH=true
WITHOUT_PAM_SUPPORT=true
WITHOUT_PPP=true
WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=true
WITHOUT_WIRELESS=true
WITH_OPENSSH_NONE_CIPHER=true

It's WITHOUT_CLANG that cuts down the buildworld time by a *huge* amount
(I remember when it got introduced, my buildworld jumped up to something
like 40 minutes); the rest probably save a minute or two at most.

- /etc/make.conf doesn't contain much that's relevant, other than:

CPUTYPE?=core2

# For DTrace; also affects ports
STRIP=
CFLAGS+=	-fno-omit-frame-pointer

- I do some tweaks in /etc/sysctl.conf (mainly vfs.read_min and
vfs.read_max), but I will admit I am not completely sure what those
do quite yet (I just saw the commit from scottl@ a while back talking
about how an increased vfs.read_min helps them at Netflix quite a
lot).  I also adjust kern.maxvnodes.

- Some ZFS ARC settings are adjusted in /boot/loader.conf (I'm playing
with some stuff I read in Andriy Gapon's ZFS PDF), but they definitely
do not have a major impact on the numbers I listed off.

- I do increase kern.maxdsiz, kern.dfldsiz, and kern.maxssiz in
/boot/loader.conf to 2560M/2560M/256M respectively, but that was mainly
from the days when I ran MySQL and needed a huge userland processes.

All in all my numbers are low/small because of two things: the SSD, and
WITHOUT_CLANG.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start/stuff to ponder.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |