When will subversion be ready for updating/upgrading src && ports?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Sat Jul 6 03:44:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:38:07PM -0700, bsd-lists at hush.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>  Well after posting a couple of questions to the list regarding questions I had before
> migrating from (cv)sup to subversion, I took the leap:
>
> mv /usr/src/ /usr/src.old/
>
> mkdir /usr/src
>
> mv /usr/ports/ /usr/ports.old/
>
> mkdir /usr/ports
>
> rm -fr /var/db/sup/*
> rm -fr /var/db/portsnap/*
>
> svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/stable/8 /usr/src
>
> svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>
> I then performed a portmaster -a
>
> which left me with a non-working X desktop.
> Turned out to be a problem with the Nvidia driver -- was 2.9.40, now 3.10.14.
> But loading it in loader.conf didn't create /dev/nvidia0, or /dev/nvidiactl
> To make a long story short, I attempted to update my src && ports, and try agaiin;
>
> svn update svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head /usr/ports
> FAILED! I don't have the exact output

Incorrect syntax -- should be one of the following (your choice):

  cd /usr/ports && svn update
  svn update /usr/ports

> So I tried:
> cd /usr/ports
> svn update
> Which replied:
> svn: E155036: Please see the 'svn upgrade' command
> svn: E155036: The working copy at '/usr/ports'
> is too old (format 29) to work with client version '1.8.0 (r1490375)' (expects f
> ormat 31). You need to upgrade the working copy first.
>
> So I guess subversion isn't (yet) designed for this sort of stuff, which leaves me with a useless box. :(

Incorrect.  Please look very, VERY closely at what the command is that
it's telling you to use.  Read it 4 times over.  Pay close attention.

The explanation:

You installed subversion 1.7 or earlier when you originally started
(i.e. subversion-1.7 or 1.6 or something else was installed).  No
problem.

You then updated your ports tree.  No problem.

You then ran portmaster -a to upgrade/update all your ports (rebuild
them).  No problem.  However this updated subversion to the latest in
ports, which is 1.8.

The subversion metadata (stored in the .svn directories, ex.
/usr/src/.svn, /usr/ports/.svn, etc.) has changed as of 1.8.  This is
why you need to do "svn upgrade" in those directories.

This is a one-time thing you have to do.  That's all.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |