svn - but smaller?

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Mon Jan 28 03:25:36 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

On Jan 24, 2013, at 6:13 AM, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2013-Jan-23 15:40:50 +0100, Oliver Brandmueller <ob at e-Gitt.NET> wrote:
>> in ancient times there was cvsup. cvsup was a PITA if you wanted (or
>> needed) to install it via ports, the only reasonable way was to use
>> pkg_add for that if you didn't want to pollute your system with
>> otherwise unneeded software.
>
> There was also ctm(1).  ctm is small, BSD-licensed and has been part
> of FreeBSD forever (almost).  Thanks to stephen@, ctm deltas for
> various src trees, as well as the entire SVN repo are still available.
> c[v]sup can do things than aren't possible with ctm but I would expect
> that most people who currently use c[v]sup could readily migrate to
> using ctm.
>
> See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ctm.html for details.
>
> Note that mirroring the actual SVN repo via ctm requires some patches.
> There is a README and patches in ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM/svn-cur/
>
> --
> Peter Jeremy

Thank you for adding the ctm bits in the page, I'm deeply intrigued by possibly solving this problem with bits *already* in base?!!

https://wiki.freebsd.org/action/diff/UsersFetchingSource?action=diff&rev1=6&rev2=7

However, even after reading the handbook page, I just don't quite understand how to use it on a modern system.  (The handbook page isn't too helpful, nor is the man page- perhaps I'm looking at it backwards)  Could you help clarify:

- does CTM go away with the CVS servers?
- do CTM-compatable patch/delta files exist on project repos?
- what is the cleanest path to using CTM? (e.g. is the patch you mention required)

--
Say I have a bare 9.1 install, no ports, haven't downloaded any base/src or ports yet.
How do I go about using ctm(1) to fetch REL or STABLE to /usr/src, command by command?

Best,
.ike