svn - but smaller?

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Thu Jan 24 11:13:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-Jan-23 15:40:50 +0100, Oliver Brandmueller <ob at e-Gitt.NET> wrote:
>in ancient times there was cvsup. cvsup was a PITA if you wanted (or
>needed) to install it via ports, the only reasonable way was to use
>pkg_add for that if you didn't want to pollute your system with
>otherwise unneeded software.

There was also ctm(1).  ctm is small, BSD-licensed and has been part
of FreeBSD forever (almost).  Thanks to stephen@, ctm deltas for
various src trees, as well as the entire SVN repo are still available.
c[v]sup can do things than aren't possible with ctm but I would expect
that most people who currently use c[v]sup could readily migrate to
using ctm.

See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ctm.html for details.

Note that mirroring the actual SVN repo via ctm requires some patches.
There is a README and patches in ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CTM/svn-cur/

--
Peter Jeremy