bge numbering

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 25 21:54:09 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 05:47:39PM +0200, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> > On Friday, January 25, 2013 3:46:10 am Daniel Braniss wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > this server, a Dell R720 has 4 bge on board,
> > >      Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x5720000
> > >      bge0: APE FW version: NCSI v1.1.7.0
> > >      bge0: CHIP ID 0x05720000; ASIC REV 0x5720; CHIP REV 0x57200; PCI-E
> > >      miibus0: <MII bus> on bge0
> > >
> > > I have connected the ethernet to port labeled 0, but it appears
> > > as bge2, how can this be corrected?
> >
> > It can't really.  The order of PCI devices is determined by the layout of the
> > PCI device hierarchy which is generally determined by the physical traces on
> > your motherboard.
>
> so you are saying that Dell screwed up yet again?
> the 4 bges have consecutive macs, bge1 = bge0 +1, bge2 = bge1 + 1, etc. It's
> only the # 'outside' that is wrong? I will try the usual trial and error
> to find the mapping, but will have to wait till Sunday.

bge0 = port 2
bge1 = port 3
bge2 = port 0
bge3 = port 1

would be my suspicion

The R720 Broadcom chips are dual port, so bge0 & 1 are paired and bge2 & 3
are paired.

You can force this to be corrected by renaming the devices I believe.

Dell "fixed" this in Linux by using DMI/SMBIOS type 41 data to reorder
the NICs.  The code is in RHEL 6 and later.  The Dell white paper is

http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/consistent_network_device_naming_in_linux.pdf

>From an R720 I have access to:

Handle 0x2900, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
Onboard Device
        Reference Designation: Integrated NIC 1
        Type: Ethernet
        Type Instance: 1
        Bus Address: 0000:01:00.0

Handle 0x2901, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
Onboard Device
        Reference Designation: Integrated NIC 2
        Type: Ethernet
        Type Instance: 2
        Bus Address: 0000:01:00.1

Handle 0x2902, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
Onboard Device
        Reference Designation: Integrated NIC 3
        Type: Ethernet
        Type Instance: 3
        Bus Address: 0000:02:00.0

Handle 0x2903, DMI type 41, 11 bytes
Onboard Device
        Reference Designation: Integrated NIC 4
        Type: Ethernet
        Type Instance: 4
        Bus Address: 0000:02:00.1

You can theoretically work from the bus address back to the way Dell
wants the NICs ordered.  Why on earth they can't get the hardware to do
it instead I have *no* idea

Gary