svn - but smaller?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Fri Jan 25 13:38:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 00:57:17 -0800, 'Jeremy Chadwick' wrote:

 > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 06:34:33PM +1100, Dewayne wrote:
 > > The objective is to return to a base build of FreeBSD that performs
 > > the expected task of being able to pull source, without having to
 > > acquire a port.  Regardless of our individual solutions/workarounds,
 > > the task is to pull and maintain source.
 > >
 > > Is the discussion going to result in something like svn-lite that
 > > enters into the /usr/src/contrib along with the responsibilities
 > > associated with maintaining it?  And then we need to take into
 > > consideration of being overwriting the "base svn" with a full svn
 > > package, if required by the user/admin.
[..]
 > > I build svn from ports with all options off except for:
 > > ENHANCED_KEYWORD P4_STYLE_MARKERS STATIC which results in a 4.2MB svn
 > > program. Suites me but doesn't address the underlying problem - and I
 > > don't think that the plan is to make FreeBSD dependent upon the ports
 > > system (for subversion)

[..]
 > As for your last line:
 >
 > FreeBSD is already dependent upon Subversion.  This has been the case
 > for quite some time, but has only recently (as an indirect result of the
 > security incident) become forced upon users/administrators of FreeBSD.
 > The entire project is presently managed/maintained under Subversion.
 > The Handbook now documents that if you want to pull down src/ you need
 > to install Subversion.  If you want to pull down ports/ you can use
 > portsnap and waste lots of /var space, hoping that the portsnap mirrors
 > are up to date, and a bunch of other hullabaloo... or you could just use
 > Subversion and be done with it.
 >
 > There is no more cvsup.  There is no more csup.  There is no more cvs.

I'm trying to work out exactly when support for checking out 9-STABLE
CVS sources - and I'm only talking about system sources here - will end?

Peter Wemm (cc'd) writes in https://wiki.freebsd.org/CvsIsDeprecated,
last edited 2013-01-22:

  "3. For FreeBSD 9-stable, 8-stable and 7-stable, we will be attempting
to continue updates through the exporter the official "support"
end-of-life for last release on the branch at the time of writing
(November 16th, 2012).
          * This means, updates will be maintained on a best effort
basis until 9.0-RELEASE, 8.3-RELEASE, 7.4-RELEASE are no longer
supported.
          * This notice pre-dates 9.1-RELEASE, and the release of 9.1
will not extend the lifetime of RELENG_9 branch exporter.
          * This is not a commitment to operate the services, it will
only be done on a best effort basis. If serious problems develop or
usage dies down significantly we may accelerate its end-of-life."

But after kerfuffle about 9.1-RELEASE branch sources not (then) being
available via c{v,}sup, Bjoern Zeeb wrote on Sept 18th 2012 in
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2012-September/069600.html
"RELENG_9_1 is now exported the CVS as well and will be for as long as
things will be exported to CVS."  Other posts around that time clearly
said that CVS source access would remain for the lifetime of 9-STABLE.

Could someone please clarify this situation?

As others have suggested, an SVN package that could be installed with a
static build and run dependency-free binary would help ease the pain for
those looking specifically at updating 9.x or 8.x sources to -STABLE as
a directly usable csup replacement, preferably on install media but at
least easily fetchable as a package?  I find portsnap fine for ports.

cheers, Ian