svn - but smaller?

Sergey V. Dyatko sergey.dyatko at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 06:10:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 00:06:47 -0800
Derek Kulinski <takeda at takeda.tk> wrote:

> "Sergey V. Dyatko" <sergey.dyatko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >You may:
> >1/ install subversion on some host/jail
> >2/ do svn export ( f.e. svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/9 stable_9)
> >3/ tar it
> >4/ on 'client' fetch(1)/scp/rsync tarball
> >
> >in that case you don't need svn on 'client', fetch and scp in base :)
>
> If you go through all of that why not just install the damn svn from
> ports?

I have svn installed on all my boxes (for src and configs) ;-)

> I think you don't understand the reason why people are asking for
> this. I personally experienced the need not long ago. I had stable/9
> branch and wanted to downgrade to 9.0. The entire process went well
> until I rebooted the system, to see tons of errors in pretty much
> everything that was compiled from ports. Instead recompiling them
> from scratch I just decided to go ahead and upgrade to 9.1 which was
> not officially released yet.

how in this case you would have helped availability lite-svn-client on
base ?

> And of course I could not perform svn sw because svn was broken too.
r232944 | lev | 2009-04-29 15:11:17 +0300
(3) Add STATIC option to build only static binaries [2]

> And since svn has tons of dependencies it took me nearly an hour to
> recompile them (portupgrade and Ruby were broken too).

that's why I don't use portupgrade for a long time;-)
use portmaster WTF

--
wbr, tiger