svn - but smaller?

Derek Kulinski takeda at takeda.tk
Thu Jan 24 08:32:10 UTC 2013

"Sergey V. Dyatko" <sergey.dyatko at gmail.com> wrote:

>You may:
>1/ install subversion on some host/jail
>2/ do svn export ( f.e. svn://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/9 stable_9)
>3/ tar it
>4/ on 'client' fetch(1)/scp/rsync tarball
>
>in that case you don't need svn on 'client', fetch and scp in base :)

If you go through all of that why not just install the damn svn from ports?

I think you don't understand the reason why people are asking for this. I personally experienced the need not long ago. I had stable/9 branch and wanted to downgrade to 9.0. The entire process went well until I rebooted the system, to see tons of errors in pretty much everything that was compiled from ports. Instead recompiling them from scratch I just decided to go ahead and upgrade to 9.1 which was not officially released yet.

And of course I could not perform svn sw because svn was broken too. And since svn has tons of dependencies it took me nearly an hour to recompile them (portupgrade and Ruby were broken too).