svn - but smaller?

Gyrd Thane Lange gyrd-nani at thanelange.no
Thu Jan 24 17:10:38 UTC 2013

On 24.01.2013 15:46, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> Am 24.01.2013 um 15:20 schrieb Gyrd Thane Lange <gyrd-se at thanelange.no>:
>> It is not a well publicized fact, but I understand that the base utility freebsd-update(8) through it's freebsd-update.conf(5) is able to pull the base sources (/usr/src/) only instead of also updating your binaries.
>>
>> less /etc/freebsd-update.conf
>>
>>  # Components of the base system which should be kept updated.
>>  Components src world kernel
>>
>> The above setting is the default, but you may easily leave out everything but "src". (Caveat: I have not tried it myself yet.)
>> It also have some optional settings for preserving local changes to the source instead of blowing them away (default).
>>
>> This will allow you to use the sources for a custom build and install yourself.
>

> I tried that and found that at least /usr/src/UPDATING was not touched by freebsd-update.
> See <E4E97BB3-4535-4E9F-AD78-E16A94F75579 at punkt.de> on this list.
>
> Any hints welcome - must have been doing someting wrong.

I just tried (src only), from an 8.2 system:

# freebsd-update -r 8.3-RELEASE upgrade
# freebsd-update install

This gave me the same experience as you. The latest entry in UPDATING is

20120411:
        8.3-RELEASE

(The good news is that it actually updated it from 8.2 to 8.3, so it did
not ignore it completely.) But all other files under the /usr/src/
hierarchy is properly updated. For instance:

# egrep '^(REVISION|BRANCH)' /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh
REVISION="8.3"
BRANCH="RELEASE-p5"

This gives me some confidence that I've got the important bits from -p5,
even though UPDATING remains at unpatched level. I guess there is some
bug or misconfiguration on the server side of freebsd-update that
ignores some files. I have no idea. ;-)

In short, I think you used the correct commands, and that it is
reasonable to expect the /usr/src/UPDATING file to be updated.

Regards,
Gyrd ^_^