svn - but smaller?

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 24 12:04:57 UTC 2013

On 24/01/2013 11:30, John Mehr wrote:
> I'm working on writing a lightweight, dependency-free, BSD licensed
> program to pull source using the svn protocol (not using the
> aforementioned svnsup code).  I've only got a few more pieces of the
> puzzle to sort out and some code cleanup and it should be ready for
> testing.

Ooooh... shiny!

Thank you very much indeed for working on this.  It's an area where a
solution is very much in demand.

> As someone who has never contributed code, what's the best way to submit
> this code for consideration?  Do I just slap a BSD license on it and
> post it to the list?  Do I first create a port for it?  Also, does
> anyone know who I should contact regarding permission to test my code
> against the repository at svn.freebsd.org?  Thanks.

Ummm... both of the above.  If you submit it as a port, it will get into
the ports a lot quicker than it would get into src, plus it will be
available to all FreeBSD users to test straight away.  Once it does go
into src, it will take a number of release cycles before it can be
considered generally available.  Given a good track record in ports,
you'll find it easier to persuade people to import it into src.

For testing against svn.freebsd.org -- this is pull only?  So you only
need read permissions on svn.freebsd.org?  That's fine: the SVN
repository is open to public access and you can just use it without
asking permission.  Although I'd use one of the mirror sites listed in
the handbook rather than svn.freebsd.org directly.

Note: for read-only access you can use svn:// http:// and https:// type
URLs.  If you want to test, say, svn+ssh:// then you'll need to find a
committer to help you out.  However, as the only reason to have
svn+ssh:// access is to be able to commit, it's probably out of scope
for your case.

	Cheers,

	Matthew