svn - but smaller?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Wed Jan 23 23:59:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org> wrote:

>>> Great idea;
>>>
>>> http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/svn-static.diff
>>
>> No, you completely missed the point.
>>
>> Its not about static linking its embedded subversion libraries.  I'm
>> complaining about things like gdbm and bdb via apr, build dependencies
>> like both python and perl for apr, and so on.
>>
>> If you made a port just to turn on the static option, it is equally as
>> fail as before.
>
> Specific example.. doing a portsnap and build of devel/subversion out
> of the box, you get:
>
> ===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
>         Install devel/subversion
>         Install databases/sqlite3
>         Install devel/pkgconf
>         Install devel/apr1
>         Install converters/libiconv
>         Install devel/libtool
>         Install databases/db42
>         Install databases/gdbm
>         Install devel/gmake
>         Install devel/gettext
>         Install devel/autoconf
>         Install devel/autoconf-wrapper
>         Install devel/m4
>         Install lang/perl5.14
>         Install misc/help2man
>         Install devel/p5-Locale-gettext
>         Install devel/automake
>         Install devel/automake-wrapper
>         Install lang/python27
>         Install textproc/expat2
>         Install www/neon29
>
> You can thin it down a bit by turning off a few bits..  neon->serf
> helps a little but not much.  Trimming some runtime (vs buildtime)
> grandchildren like apr's gdbm/bdb modules trims some license
> dependencies.  I'll update that list when the build is finished.

FWIW, this is the runtime dependency list
apr-1.4.6.1.4.1_3              Apache Portability Library
expat-2.0.1_2                  XML 1.0 parser written in C
gettext-0.18.1.1               GNU gettext package
libiconv-1.14                  A character set conversion library
pkg-1.0.4_1                    New generation package manager
pkgconf-0.8.9                  Utility to help to configure compiler
and linker flags
serf-1.1.1                     Serf HTTP client library
sqlite3-3.7.14.1               An SQL database engine in a C library
subversion-1.7.8               Version control system

Doing a static link of the libsvn_* libraries into the binary doesn't
help with this.