svn - but smaller?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Wed Jan 23 23:16:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Chris Rees <crees at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 23 January 2013 19:17, Emanuel Haupt <ehaupt at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> devel/subversion already has an option to build a static version. A
>>> solution could be to create a stub port (devel/subversion-static)
>>> similar to:
>>>
>>> shells/bash-devel
>>> shells/bash-static-devel
>>>
>>> dns/ldns
>>> dns/py-ldns
>>
>> Great idea;
>>
>> http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/svn-static.diff
>
> No, you completely missed the point.
>
> Its not about static linking its embedded subversion libraries.  I'm
> complaining about things like gdbm and bdb via apr, build dependencies
> like both python and perl for apr, and so on.
>
> If you made a port just to turn on the static option, it is equally as
> fail as before.

Specific example.. doing a portsnap and build of devel/subversion out
of the box, you get:

===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
	Install devel/subversion
	Install databases/sqlite3
	Install devel/pkgconf
	Install devel/apr1
	Install converters/libiconv
	Install devel/libtool
	Install databases/db42
	Install databases/gdbm
	Install devel/gmake
	Install devel/gettext
	Install devel/autoconf
	Install devel/autoconf-wrapper
	Install devel/m4
	Install lang/perl5.14
	Install misc/help2man
	Install devel/p5-Locale-gettext
	Install devel/automake
	Install devel/automake-wrapper
	Install lang/python27
	Install textproc/expat2
	Install www/neon29

You can thin it down a bit by turning off a few bits..  neon->serf
helps a little but not much.  Trimming some runtime (vs buildtime)
grandchildren like apr's gdbm/bdb modules trims some license
dependencies.  I'll update that list when the build is finished.

--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
bitcoin:188ZjyYLFJiEheQZw4UtU27e2FMLmuRBUE