Spontaneous reboots on Intel i5 and FreeBSD 9.0

Ian Lepore ian at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 19 15:33:54 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 12:30 +0200, Marin Atanasov Nikolov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Re-sending this one, as I've attached an image which was too large to pass
> the mailing lists, sorry about that :)
>
> After starting the system last night I kept monitoring the memory usage
> just in case I see something strange and I've noticed a significant memory
> drop of the free memory between 03:00am and 03:05am time. I've taken a
> screenshot of the graph, which you can also see at the link below:
>
> * http://users.unix-heaven.org/~dnaeon/memory-usage.jpg
>
> At 03:00am I can see that periodic(8) runs, but I don't see what could have
> taken so much of the free memory. I'm also running this system on ZFS and
> have daily rotating ZFS snapshots created - currently the number of ZFS
> snapshots are > 1000, and not sure if that could be causing this. Here's a
> list of the periodic(8) daily scripts that run at 03:00am time.

[...]

What exactly is that graph displaying for "available memory?"  That is,
what is the source of info on the graph?

If it's just showing memory that appears in top as "Free" that's not the
whole picture; the memory in the Inactive category is also available.

-- Ian