Determining which process needs to be restarted after update

Ben Morrow ben at morrow.me.uk
Sat Jan 12 23:29:28 UTC 2013

Quoth Derek Kulinski <takeda at takeda.tk>:

> I personally really like OpenSuSE command which is: zypper ps
> What it does is it lists all processes that have files opened that
> currently don't exist (i.e. link count is 0). This helps tremendously
> in determining which processes need to be restarted after an update.
>
> Is there something similar for FreeBSD? I was thinking of using
> lsof +L1, but on FreeBSD that command is not capable of displaying
> names of files that were deleted, many entries returned are for
> example processes that have open sockets. It also does not list names
> of the deleted/replaced files.
>
> Is there a tool that is capable to do such task, or maybe some
> additional options to lsof? I'm not too familiar with it myself.

procstat -fa, look for entries with 'v' in the 'T' column and '-' in the
'NAME' column (or get awk to look for you). You may also want to check
the 'V' column: see the manpage for the codes. This won't tell you what
the file used to be called before it was deleted: I don't think the
kernel keeps that information.

Ben