Determining which process needs to be restarted after update

Derek Kulinski takeda at takeda.tk
Sat Jan 12 20:18:40 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I personally really like OpenSuSE command which is: zypper ps
What it does is it lists all processes that have files opened that
currently don't exist (i.e. link count is 0). This helps tremendously
in determining which processes need to be restarted after an update.

Is there something similar for FreeBSD? I was thinking of using
lsof +L1, but on FreeBSD that command is not capable of displaying
names of files that were deleted, many entries returned are for
example processes that have open sockets. It also does not list names
of the deleted/replaced files.

Is there a tool that is capable to do such task, or maybe some
additional options to lsof? I'm not too familiar with it myself.

--
Best regards,
 Derek                          mailto:takeda at takeda.tk

-- Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.