Solved?: Re: Upgrade of RELENG_8 ZFS boot pool leads to unbootable system

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 4 21:28:40 UTC 2013

If memory serves me right, Paul Mather wrote:

> That's weird.  I have the same basic /boot/loader.conf entries
> (except for a speed of 115200) and even just putting "-Dh" into
> /boot.config leads to the same unbootable system behaviour. :-(
>
> Maybe something broke recently in the RELENG_8 boot loader?  Like I
> said originally, that /boot.config entry had been working for me
> without problems for a long time.

Hi Paul--

I recently ran into this as well.  I didn't do any setting of the
console bitrate, just "-Dh" in /boot.config, and it caused a server I
was upgrading to lock up just as you described.  I had to learn about
mounting ZFS filesystems from the Fixit environment in a hurry.  My
workaround was to get rid of /boot.config, which obviously doesn't
restore the original functionality.

The system in question was (is) running 8.3-RELEASE.

Bruce.