Solved?: Re: Upgrade of RELENG_8 ZFS boot pool leads to unbootable system

Paul Mather paul at gromit.homeunix.org
Fri Jan 4 21:15:33 UTC 2013

On Jan 4, 2013, at 5:39 AM, Vincent Hoffman <vince at unsane.co.uk> wrote:

> On 03/01/2013 21:18, Paul Mather wrote:
>>

>> It turns out it was my /boot.config that was preventing booting.  The system is usually always headless, so I have "-S115200 -Dh" as the sole line in /boot.config to enable a 115200 baud serial console.  This has been working fine for me up until I did a {build,install} {kernel,world} on 1st January 2013.  I was pretty sure my woes began after I did the "zpool upgrade -a" and subsequently rebooted again, but now I can't be sure whether I successfully rebooted at all after the "make installworld" and mergemaster step.
>>
>> Does anyone know a sure-fire way of getting a dual console setup (high-speed serial + VGA).  The recipe I had been using had worked well for a long time.  I had "-S115200 -Dh" in /boot.config and the following entries in /boot/loader.conf:
>>
>> 	boot_multicons="YES"
>> 	comconsole_speed="115200"
>> 	console="comconsole,vidconsole"
>>
>> Now, though, if I have "-S115200 -Dh" then the system locks up at boot.  Removing /boot.config gets me dual console, but only at 9600 baud. :-(
> I have
> root at copia:/root # more /boot.config
> -Dh
>
> and
> root at copia:/root # grep 'cons' /boot/loader.conf
> console="comconsole,vidconsole"
> comconsole_speed="19200"
> boot_multicons="yes"
>
> Which works fine for ipmi based serial over lan console in a generic
> 9.1-RELEASE.
> Not sure thats that helpful but 19200 is better than 9600 ;)

That's weird.  I have the same basic /boot/loader.conf entries (except for a speed of 115200) and even just putting "-Dh" into /boot.config leads to the same unbootable system behaviour. :-(

Maybe something broke recently in the RELENG_8 boot loader?  Like I said originally, that /boot.config entry had been working for me without problems for a long time.

Cheers,

Paul.