Does / Is anyone maintaining CVS for FreeBSD?

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Wed Jan 2 05:56:03 UTC 2013

On 1 January 2013, at 21:16, Chris H wrote:

>>> Are you sure?  Most of the diffs developers have been handing me lately are
>>> of the form a/path b/path so I think they are mostly using git behind the
>>> scenes.
>>
>> Yes.  I use git behind the scenes as well.  However, so far as I am
>> aware, there are no plans in either the short or long terms to
>> *convert upstream* to git.
>
> Thank God! I'd hate to think that after unwinding years accumulated
> CVS process, to rewind it for SVN, only to have to do it again for GIT,
> just seems a bit masochistic.

Is the cvs code going away?  I ask because I maintain a number of local CVS repositories of code for which I am the only developer/maintainer.  I also use grep on the repositories to find sections of code previously created and removed for future use.  I can't bill my clients for conversion to SVN so that cost I would have to eat.  I am not particularly thrilled about having to do so.  I don't need most of the CVS features.  About all I do is check in.  Occasionally I botch up a module enough that I delete it and recover it from CVS.  I don't use branches or tags.