Does / Is anyone maintaining CVS for FreeBSD?

Derek Kulinski takeda at takeda.tk
Tue Jan 1 21:23:36 UTC 2013

Hello Kevin,

> All of that said, I still use CVS for on thing, RANCiD. (It is a
> system for managing router and switch configurations).It can use
> either CVS or SVN, but I keep the data is CVS as there is considerable
> advantage to being able to grep through the delta files to looks for
> some bit that has long been deleted. (We have about15 years worth of
> router configurations in our archive.) But this is a special case. I
> would never recommend anyone use CVS for general purpose code
> management, (Not sure I'd recommend svn, either, but others are far
> more of a change from CVS.

I don't think svn has this functionality out of the box, but it looks
like http://svn-search.sourceforge.net/ offers it, but I'm not 100%
sure.

Git appears to have it, I believe git log -S <string> does this:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-log.html

This man page of just a single git command is a perfect example
showing that while git is extremely powerful it is also very
complicated.

For a comparison, this is svn log:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svn.c.log.html

and cvs log:
http://www-e815.fnal.gov/webspace/cvs/commands.html#log

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda at takeda.tk

All wiyht. Rho sritched mg kegtops awound?