Why can't gcc-4.2.1 build usable libreoffice?

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Tue Feb 19 20:05:16 UTC 2013

On 19.02.2013 14:45, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> Actually, I tried very hard to build sane LO with gcc 4.2 but it
> wasn't fruitful.  Eventually, I gave up on adding kludges after
> kludges because LO is moving away from pre-C++11 compilers anyway.:-(
Should not a pre-C++11 compiler simply /fail/ upon encountering C++11 code?
> >And if there is a*good*  reason to reject the base compiler, I'd
> >expect such good reason to be documented -- preferably with
> >bug-reports filed against either the FreeBSD and its toolchain or
> >against the LibreOffice code. Or both...
> I believe there were plenty PRs already.
I can not find any :-( The ones against FreeBSD
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?category=&severity=&priority=&class=&state=&sort=none&text=libreoffice&responsible=&multitext=&originator=&release=>
all talk about build failures (except the 176269
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/176269>, filed today). There
are no relevant bug-reports against LibreOffice, that mention "gcc-4.2.1"
<https://bugassistant.libreoffice.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=gcc-4.2.1> or "gcc
4.2.1 <https://bugassistant.libreoffice.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=gcc%204.2.1>".

    -mi