Installer on serial-console-only-embedded system

Doug Ambrisko ambrisko at ambrisko.com
Mon Aug 12 17:06:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 01:53:15PM +0000, Teske, Devin wrote:
| sysinstall had the ability to allow you to muck with /etc/ttys before
| rebooting to your installed OS.
|
| This functionality is coming back slowly.
|
| In 9.2-R you will be able to (somehow) bow out of the installation process
| after it's complete (e.g., "Ctrl-C" ??) and then run bsdconfig -- invoking
| the "TTYs" module, giving you a chance to change the settings before you
| reboot from your newly installed system.
|
| Tighter Integration will follow in the years to come... but replacing a
| tool that had a 15-year run which did _all_ of this stuff, is/was not an
| overnight project. Rather, it's a journey!

I also had made changes to sysinstall that if it detected a boot with
-h then it did the /etc/tty etc. changes automatically to the installed
system.  It would be good to see this come back.  I'm not sure if Robert's
official changes did that.  It's fairly easy to check what the console
device is and then do the right thing.

Thanks,

Doug A.