Installer on serial-console-only-embedded system

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Mon Aug 12 12:57:05 UTC 2013

You need to change /etc/ttys to turn off the virtual consoles and turn
on a serial terminal.
E.g.,

ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"     xterm   off secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"     xterm   off secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"     xterm   off secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"     xterm   off secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"     xterm   off secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"     xterm   off secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"     xterm   off secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"     xterm   off secure
ttyv8   "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on  secure
ttyu1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyu2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyu3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
# Dumb console
dcons   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure