FreeBSD-Update + Sendmail

Thomas Laus lausts at acm.org
Tue Aug 6 21:28:46 UTC 2013

> > I have been updating my FreeBSD systems for many years by updating and
> > building from source.  For the FreeBSD 9.2 cycle, I decided to use
> > freebsd-update for binary update instead.  I use Sendmail + Cyrus-SASL and
> > the freebsd-update process only installed a 'bare bones' binary.  How do I
> > compile just Sendmail from source so that it uses my /etc/make.conf for the
> > smtp_auth components?  Is there a freebsd-update.conf flag to perform this
> > task?
>
> I too have been updating my systems by updating and building from source. To
> recompile and install sendmail from the /usr/src tree you can run these
> commands.
>
> cd /usr/src/lib/libsm; make clean; make obj; make depend; make
> cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil; make clean; make obj; make depend; make
> cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail; make clean; make obj; make depend; make; make
> install
>
> This procedure will follow all the /etc/make.conf arguments.

I like the 'sendmail from ports' suggestion a little better.  Going this
route, I only need to make configuration changes to /etc/mail/mailer.conf
once.  All subsequent freebsd-update operations won't require rebuilding
sendmail and it's tools.  Any updates to the port version are covered by the
normal port update system.  Future updates to the port version only require a
'make restart' in the /etc/mail directory after reviewing my .mc file for any
affected changes.

Thanks for the alternate procedure.  I'll save it for future reference and it
may prove useful someday.

Tom

--
Public Keys: