FreeBSD-Update + Sendmail

Ted Hatfield ted at io-tx.com
Tue Aug 6 16:36:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013, Thomas Laus wrote:
> I have been updating my FreeBSD systems for many years by updating and
> building from source.  For the FreeBSD 9.2 cycle, I decided to use
> freebsd-update for binary update instead.  I use Sendmail + Cyrus-SASL and
> the freebsd-update process only installed a 'bare bones' binary.  How do I
> compile just Sendmail from source so that it uses my /etc/make.conf for the
> smtp_auth components?  Is there a freebsd-update.conf flag to perform this
> task?
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Public Keys:
> PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1
> GnuPG KeyID = 0x620836CF

I too have been updating my systems by updating and building from source.
To recompile and install sendmail from the /usr/src tree you can run these
commands.

cd /usr/src/lib/libsm; make clean; make obj; make depend; make
cd /usr/src/lib/libsmutil; make clean; make obj; make depend; make
cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail; make clean; make obj; make depend; make; make install

This procedure will follow all the /etc/make.conf arguments.

I hope this helps.

Ted Hatfield
PrismNet Ltd.