ada(4) and ahci(4) quirk printing

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 23 13:15:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <jdc at koitsu.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 01:20:31PM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> >4) camcontrol wouldn't address the need/interest for ahci(4) quirks to
>> >be made available.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because camcontrol is for CAM.  ahci(4) is not part of CAM.  The last
> place I'd look for "poking at AHCI" (as in *actual AHCI*) is camcontrol.
>
> This is one of the reasons sysctl exists -- it's a sort of "covers
> everything" tree, on a per-device basis.

Just on this point, these quirks aren't actually quirks of ahci(4) are
they? They are quirks of the disks that are attached to ahci(4), and
presumably should apply regardless of whether the disk in question is
hooked up to ahci(4), siis(4) or even mps(4).

To my mind, this means the quirks should belong to da(4), or at the
very least ada(4). ada(4) and da(4) are both manipulated by CAM, so
having this in camcontrol seems logical to me. To clarify, my mind is
completely oblivious of how all this is implemented in software, so
perhaps my mind needs to be changed rather than the code!

Cheers

Tom