9.1-RC2 - could it be that the installer does not write the MBR?

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sat Oct 20 17:04:11 UTC 2012

Am Fri, 19 Oct 2012 20:14:01 -0400
schrieb Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org>:

> The grub prompt for (Open)Solaris?  Or do you use grub on FreeBSD?

I thought it was a linux grub (the Firmware-Update DVD is linux-based
and I thought it had gone postal.
But I came to realize that it was the Solaris grub.
We only use FreeBSD on servers and it's always the only OS on the disks.

> I _think_ at this point, you've hit the same problem I hit, the only
> difference is that in my case, 9.1-PRERELEASE was installed twice,
> because the paritions were not ideal.
>
> So, my guess is if you were to boot the install cd and select 'Live
> CD' or 'Shell' from the first menu option, and wrote the GPT bootcode
> to da0p1 (assuming da0 is the drive) and reboot, it would have booted
> fine.

I don't think this is what a user is expecting from an OS installation
routine....
It's a bug.

Rainer