9.1-RC2 - could it be that the installer does not write the MBR?

Lucas B. Cohen lbc at bnrlabs.com
Sat Oct 20 11:24:32 UTC 2012

On 2012.10.18 18:44, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>> Thus
>> > erasing grub when someone is attempting to install FreeBSD alongside
>> > Linux?
>
> How many people actually do that, now that there are so many
> virtualization-options?

At least I do. As invaluable and paradigm-shifting as virtualization is,
I still like to run different OSen on bare hardware. For example right
now I'm working on a prototype FreeBSD NAS, troubleshooting problematic
disc controllers, and being able to run a Linux kernel is very useful to
compare how both systems see and use the hardware, or access some
programs I'm more familiar with.

I'm not saying I expect bsdinstaller to hold my hand ; I'm comfortable
using gpart, fdisk, grub and dd to get what I want, but it would be nice
if things were clear on what is going to happen (through user dialog or
even simply in the FreeBSD Handbook).