freebsd-update and sources of 9.1-RC3

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Sun Nov 4 11:23:37 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 12:08 PM, jb wrote:
> Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen <at> ose.nl> writes:

>> To file a PR it will require some work to find out exactly what the PR
>> should be about.
>> Since freebsd-update is meant to update the system I don't really see a
>> point to make it install sources (or others things) if they are not
>> present on the system being updated.
> Well, that proves my earlier point.

You are right.

> But, you brought up that "StrictComponents yes" option and we have to figure
> out what it means ...

 From looking at the freebsd-update script (it's in /usr/sbin) I
understand when StrictComponents is set to yes it skips the step,
inspecting system.... and uses the list provided in freebsd-update.conf,
so this option might save some time and disk activity.
I don't fully understand what the impact might be when running a custom
kernel.

> # When upgrading between releases, should the list of Components be
> # read strictly (StrictComponents yes) or merely as a list of components
> # which *might* be installed of which FreeBSD Update should figure out
> # which actually are installed and upgrade those (StrictComponents no)?
> # StrictComponents no
>
> The components are:
> Components src world kernel
>
> Then what gives ? Does it not apply to src component ?
> jb

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.