freebsd-update and sources of 9.1-RC3

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Sun Nov 4 10:55:50 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 11:25 AM, jb wrote:
> Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen <at> ose.nl> writes:

>> Can't this be accomplished by setting
>> StrictComponents yes
>> in /etc/freebsd-update.conf ?
>>
>> Then feebsd-update does not try to figure out the components to update
>> by itself, but updates the components mentioned in
>> Components src world kernel
>>
>> I didn't try what happens if no source is installed.
> Good shot, that could be the "override" option ...
>
> I did the test and it did not work out for me.

OK, well this could have been expected because freebsd-update is meant
to update the components on a system and not to install new components.
On the update servers there are delta binaries present but not full
binaries (or archives) to add new components. See further below.

> # cat /etc/freebsd-update.conf
> Components src world kernel
> StrictComponents yes
> #

<snip>

> # uname -a
> FreeBSD localhost.localdomain 9.1-RC3 FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 #0 r242324: Tue Oct 30 00:
> 18:27 UTC 2012     root at obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i38
> 6
>
> No luck. Should we file a PR# (there are some error msgs anyway) ?
> jb

To file a PR it will require some work to find out exactly what the PR
should be about.
Since freebsd-update is meant to update the system I don't really see a
point to make it install sources (or others things) if they are not
present on the system being updated.

To get the sources you can always use csup and set
default release=cvs tag=RELENG_9_1
or use subversion

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.