SU+J on 9.1-RC2 ISO

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Sun Nov 4 09:13:15 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 06:19 AM, Zoran Kolic wrote:
>> There's an existing checkbox to disable it. There was substantial
>> consensus for 9.0 that SUJ was something we wanted
> Nice to hear. I assume you mean check box during install
> process? Not mentioned in install guide in handbook.
> So, after I accept guided partitioning, I should go to
> "modify" or else? Sorry to bother again and again, but
> it is not clear to me at the moment. I'd avoid further
> tunefs if possible.
> If not possible, let me clear that branch 8 has no J as
> default and I found myself wondering. Correct me if I'm
> wrong. I have to go to single user mode first. Make fsck
> on partition that contains freebsd-ufs ( / ). Check
> options for that partition with "tunefs -p partition".
> What exact name that partition would have? Next I have to
> disable journaling with "-j disable" and enable trim with
> "-t enable". Reboot and voila?
> People mention file or partition that has to be deleted.
> Next few days I will put ssd into laptop and manage install,
> when release shows up. If there is another point I have
> to choose for journaling, let me know.
> Best regards all
>
>                                Zoran

I have just installed fresh from 9.1-RC3 ISO and cannot find a checkbox
to disable journaling or enable TRIM. Do I miss something here?

The only way I can find to customize is to go to the shell, which is an
option in bsdinstall partedit and then gpart and newfs from there. This
way I can align to 1 or 2 MB, enable TRIM and disable journaling, and
make use of all options someone desires.

Also I tried using the shell at the end of the install to disable
journaling, but this cannot be done since /mnt is busy.

Just rebooting to single user mode after the install and then tunefs -j
disable /dev/ada0p2 works for me.
Replace ada0 with the device your disk is on, p2 is the defalt partition
for /
After a reboot then I just removed /.sujournal

Still I have send a pr with patch to change the default, let's see what
goes.

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.