FreeBSD 8.3 and 9.0 freeze with firefox

Joseph Olatt joji at eskimo.com
Fri Mar 30 02:32:08 UTC 2012

Hi,

Starting with 8.3, I've been experiencing FreeBSD freezing up completely
after using firefox for a while. Thinking the problem would go away if I
upgraded to 9.0, I did that and I am still experiencing the same
freezing up. The mouse pointer freezes, the keyboard freezes (caps lock
light will not come on; Ctrl-Alt-F[1-10] does not work etc.). The only
way to get the system back is by pressing and holding down the power
button.

The problem seems similar to: kern/163145

There is nothing in /var/log/messages to indicate a problem. Output of
pciconf -lv and uname -a are at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~joji/wisdom/

Anybody else experiencing similar freeze ups with 8.3 or 9.0 while using
firefox?