About kern.ipc.semmap on FreeBSD 9

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 22 17:45:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Efraín Déctor
<efraindector at motumweb.com> wrote:
> Sorry about posting to @current.
>
> Yep, kern.ipc.semmap does exists on FreeBSD 8.2 (I have configured it on
> sysctl.conf) but on FreeBSD 9.0 its gone, Volodymyr Kostyrko pointed out
> that this options need to be configured now on /boot/loader.conf (file that
> on 9.0 I had to create it manually unlike 8.2).
>

> Where can I find this type of changes that were made on 9.0?.
>
> Thank you.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/relnotes-detailed.html should
have all changes in it; this seems to have been missed.

This is the change:

  r224016 | bz | 2011-07-14 14:18:14 +0000 (Thu, 14 Jul 2011) | 10 lines

  Remove semaphore map entry count "semmap" field and its tuning
  option that is highly recommended to be adjusted in too much
  documentation while doing nothing in FreeBSD since r2729 (rev 1.1).

  ipcs(1) needs to be recompiled as it is accessing _KERNEL private
  variables.

  Reviewed by:    jhb (before comment change on linux code)
  Sponsored by:   Sandvine Incorporated

which suggests that the option has not done anything for a very long time.

Cheers

Tom